Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The only big advantage I can see.....

Of the tube preamps in your list the only one that I might consider without audition is the Cary SLP-98 because I once owned the higher-end SLP-05. I suspect that the SLP-98 is similarly transparent for a tube preamp yet robust and dynamic. The Cary SLP-05 was a fantastic sounding tube preamp.

What do you consider to be so special about the Hattor "resistor based passive"? The Placette is also a discrete resistor based passive with precision Vishay resistors.

I would never consider a TVC because none that I know of have a remote control with a decent number of steps. I could be wrong. If one does exist it's got to be a horrendously expensive Rube Goldberg machine ;-)

If I'm not mistaken that Tortuga LDR is a bit of a marketing gimmick with the LDR which stands for "Light Dependent Resistor". It is nothing more than a common photocell that one might use in a hobby project or automatic nightlight.

I'm not anti Passive but I stand by my main complaint. They can be finicky in less than the most ideal setup in terms of component matching and short cables. Actives don't have that problem and good ones are very transparent with none of the Passive shortcomings.

Edits: 04/23/24 04/23/24 04/23/24 04/23/24 04/23/24

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.