Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: New concept using circuit to replace cathode bypass capacitor

Dear Eric,

This is the music return to ground, of the Finals tube.

You ask, how does it sound ?

I ask, who wants to listen to what is being suggested .....two solid state devices, and a Zener diode and three different Shunting Rs added to perform this music-return to ground function ???

Does not "KISS" rule in good circuit design???

What about use of a single R and a single C ??

Why not apply quality parts ????

The Rk in this direct couple's second stage could be a nice sounding power resistor, a better wirewound. Mills MRA-12s, or maybe ARCOL ( Ohmite ) HS series??

The Ck can be, (no electrolytic, but) a high quality FILM type, maybe a WIMA DC Link, possibly also with ultra-highest-quality film cap bypassing thoughtfully applied.

"A simple ground return path, of highest quality parts, to honor the music."

Finally, let us all consider your proposed ECC99's op point :

Is 90 VDC on the plate of the ECC99 the optimum value ? No Eric - not at all IMHO.

This tube, acting as a driver, will "come alive" with 190 VDC to 210 VDC as the Ea, as this circuit's Direct Coupling voltage.

Look-up and notice the 12AX7s' Ea's / VDCs in William Z. Johnson's ARC SP3-A1 build of 1972. The information is all posted in the Preamp's (on line) Owner's Manual. Wm.Z listened (and he knew), way back then, how to do it!

Such higher VDC op points seem mainly forgotten .... or such art is lazily ignored.

You asked for opinions. Hence this response. An honest opinion.

Have fun building / listening. Vatron

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.