Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnapan Quasi Vs. True Ribbon

This sort of argument has been going on for many years. Some people find the True Ribbon too bright, so they prefer the Quasai-Ribbon design. Arguably, if the system is balanced to 'flat' output with room correction the ribbon shouldn't be too bright, and at that point it's the preference of the listener to decide if they prefer a speaker that attenuates the highs. My room measurements don't show the true ribbon being excessively bright (T-IV's with modified XO's) but it's always possible that they are brighter relative to the mid/bass drivers with different Magnepan models.

On the issue of panel distortion/etc I haven't heard a traditional speaker that sounds better than Magnepan planars, so if there is excessive distortion due to the non push-pull design of the Maggie drivers it's pretty well offset by the other problems with (affordable) standard speakers that create more distortion. I think a key with it is also that this type of distortion problem mainly exists if the excursion of the panel is high, so the main area where it could be heard is in the lower frequencies, not high. But again, I've yet to hear a cone speaker that does a better job of the mid-bass (above 40Hz) than Magnepans do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Magnapan Quasi Vs. True Ribbon - UncleMeat 17:49:06 04/24/24 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.